subterrain: (veidt: knows what he wants)
[personal profile] subterrain
Holy crap, this city loves St. Patrick's Day. On the drive/walk between the sushi place and my apartment, at 7pm, I saw:


  • a pair of young long-locked gentlemen, one of whom copped a leprechaun accent and said "And a happy St. Paddy's day to you fine folks!" while doffing his hat in a practiced bow as he swept past. A google imagesearch for top of the mornin to ye yielded this fine fellow, who can stand in as a semi-accurate visual. Except the hat was a bowler and he was wearing a cape (?).
  • a very angry-looking young lady in expensive 4 inch pumps and green and white wide-horizontal-striped tights, stalking down the street towards whatever faux-pub might stand to serve her green beer.
  • a young lady smoking outside of Bob the Fish in American Apparel kelly green piped running hot pants and matching soccer socks: considerably less sexy than these pictures would imply. But who am I to judge? I'd just go for the cranberry/army, amirite?
  • a herd of street-crossing pubgoers: anywhere else in this city stepping off the sidewalk is guaranteed to get you mowed down like a blade of uppity grass, but in my neighbourhood? The drunks rule with sloppy iron fists.
  • a guy in a floppy Guinness hat, also drunk: I flipped him the bird because Guinness fucking sucks;
  • a girl in a plastic green hat on her way out of the house (she bought this thing? she kept it all year and busted it out now? she's not going to keep it in her bag till she gets a few pints in her?);
  • a staggeringly drunk girl in white cargo pants and a cut-off green linebacker top, toddling down the street with some guy, plastered while still in broad daylight. They stopped for a long moment on the street corner as we were turning into our place, and I had to say to Owen, "Keep your eyes on the road, I promise I'll tell you if she pukes."


In conclusion, everyone is drunk. High five, Calgary.

So, in news more relevant to the internet, I'm halfway through Watchmen and I just watched Brideshead Revisited, which tore my heart out and ripped it up and now my pulse-pounding lust for Matthew Goode as a various assortment of canon-gay or canon-willing-to-fake-gay-if-necessary characters is busting up my uterus something awful.

I think the willing-to-fake-gay thing needs to be a more common trope in fic. Willing to fake gay for the sake of their friendship [until it reaches the breaking point with messy results]. Willing to fake gay for money or popularity [until someone gets outed as a self-serving asshole]. Willing to fake gay until anything better comes along [but how could there be anything better?]. It adds something to the UST, I think. Agonizing one-sidedness. I obviously need to ponder this more deeply, especially as I read the book, which is by wikipedia's account considerably more ambiguous regarding any potential boytouching. I honestly can't stop thinking about the ~~angst of this particular scenario. I have been brooding about it for an entire day, yo.

Probably the delayed gratification is part of it. In 1920s Oxford, anal is maybe not the first thing that comes to mind when on an outing with your sodomite boyfriends, or maybe it is. But Sebastian is certainly a chaste, or self-denying, or masochistic, or maybe just childish character, and he's not mounting and groping Charles like I would otherwise hope. Which cuts Charles some slack on the makeouts front, which Charles badly needs because all he has to entice this kid - this lordling who has everything Charles has ever wanted - is a pretty pair of green eyes and an ugly flannel suit.

So they can swim naked and play chess in the bath and just be friends? That's some crazy denial, even for a repressed Catholic. I think maybe the situation and power dynamic between the characters is too unique to be easily replicated in, idk, 20k of Panic-as-vegan-indie-gaymos. But I am so eager to do something with it. It's breaking my freaking heart, anyway.

This is my problem. I love small fandoms with too much fervour. At the very least I should find a way to insert some kind of Brideshead stutter into an Ozymandias-bangs-everyone story.

On that note, anyone got any good Ozymandias-bangs-everyone stories? B/c I would like to see them nao, yes.

Date: 2009-03-18 02:45 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] delighter.livejournal.com
Okay, I 100% have to dl Brideshead Revisited, obvs. That photo of them dallying by the creek, WHAT. More than anything, it makes me long for wearing white summer linens. Or appropriately coloured knee-socks from AA, nice btw.

I was on 8th Ave at around 3:30pm today and the spillage of people coming out of James Joyce made me long to be a be-suited corporate hotshot with enough freedom to take off for the afternoon and get slammed with my douche-bag finance buddies. Man, where do these people even come from?

That Guinness commercial is fucking REVOLTING. I wish I had recorded my reaction because there were some epic croaking gasps of shock. Other than that, your photos aren't showing up for me, bb. A privacy setting, maybe? :(

Date: 2009-03-18 04:50 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] subterrain.livejournal.com
There are no fotos, I just linked to everything because I am laaaaaaaaaazy. You are not missing out, just so long as you clicked through to the aristocratic 1920s homos freshly off their little boat, drinking wine and eating strawberries, waiting for tragedy to strike.

INORITE, FUCKING GUINNESS. Those finance douchebags are all drinking it, and highfive-ing themselves for harassing the server at Earl's until she had to go get her manager to kick them out and then they go home together and fall asleep on each others' couches with the xbox on, holding their junk.

Date: 2009-03-18 02:47 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] thissugarcane.livejournal.com
zarya loves you! she says you're the best.

Date: 2009-03-18 04:54 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] subterrain.livejournal.com
Not even Toronto has this many drunken jerkoffs, bb. You guys must yearn for some decent action over there in your liberal-artistic mecca, I bet. YOU ARE ALWAYS WELCOME HERE AT THE REDNECK MILE.

Date: 2009-03-18 02:55 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] vinylroad.livejournal.com
I am ashamed to admit that my crush on Matthew Goode started with Chasing Liberty (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360139/) with MANDY MOORE. Although I kind of love Mandy Moore, so whatever. I HAVE NO SHAME.

I should go watch Brideshead Revisited. Mmm.

I kind of love how you managed to pretty specifically catalog everything that everyone was wearing, down the label. You're such a clandestine preppy, Paige. Don't deny.

Date: 2009-03-18 04:59 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] subterrain.livejournal.com
When I imdb'd him I a) chortled at Mandy Moore and b) choked at the fact that he was also the sinister/disgusting evildoer in The Lookout with my second-favourite boychild besides Shia, Joseph Gordon Levitt.

PROBABLY I WILL GO WATCH CHASING LIBERTY NOW. Mandy Moore was so awesome in Saved! that I trust your judgment. I just... fear those movies where he has a tiny head. Hide that reptilian neck, Goode!

AND OH GOD, YOU'RE SO RIGHT ABOUT THE LABELS. I am a shallow shallow bitch who judges and judges! Beware my twitchy left eye. O.O

Date: 2009-03-18 06:36 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] vinylroad.livejournal.com
AHAHA OH NO. Chasing Liberty is SO BAD. SO BAD. I absolutely ADORED her in Saved!, but Chasing Liberty is cheese to the max. But enjoyable if only for Matthew Goode's preppy good looks. Mandy's only as good as the script she has, really. One movie I really really loved her in was Dedication, and I enjoyed it despite the fact that I think Billy Crudup is a gigantic BLUE PENIS. So that says a lot.

I can't really stand Shia, but I have a brain crush on JGL, leftover from his days on Third Rock from the Sun, even though he had that hideous haircut. I enjoyed him in the Lookout, but I didn't get the intellectual boner that everyone else seemed to get over Brick. I just love that he does indie shit now and uploads videos of himself filming the paparazzi to youtube. EXCEPT NOW HE'S IN THE DAMN G.I. JOE MOVIE AS COBRA COMMANDER, which I guess is my excuse to see it now (even though I was already going to see it because I think Channing Tatum is awesome and hot and the evil dude who used be one of the Dr. Whos is actually kind of hot with his little accent.) UGH BUT DENNIS QUAID. That movie looks like it's going to be TURD SOUP and yet I will download and watch it, I guarantee it. And somehow, JGL will come out looking squeaky clean because he's JGL and he runs the universe.

WHATEVER. CLEARLY I AM A MOVIE CONNOISSEUR. Now pass me the melba toast and brie while I pop in a VHS of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.


(GOD, SO MANY ITALICS TAGS)

Date: 2009-03-18 03:22 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] subterrain.livejournal.com
ugh, mock my italics close-tagging disability why don't you! The exclamation point threw me off, obvs. To punish you, I will stop using them entirely because they are TRES DIFFICILE.

OH CHANNING TATUM. Between Stop-Loss and a Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, he seems to be beffies with every boy, plus he was in the original Step Up, SO HE WINS AT LIFE. Maybe next he'll move in with the Gossip Girl guys and my life will be complete. I had not heard there was going to be a GI Joe movie, and yet the idea seems to be at peace within my heart. OF COURSE there must be a GI Joe movie, of course. No one is surprised.

...I had to imdb Billy Crudup just now because while I think Dr. Manhattan's voice was really well-done, I seem to hate every other big movie the man's ever been in: Big Fish, The Good Shepherd, Almost Famous. However, I will probably try to see Dedication on your rec: although it is about illustrated children's books, which I find absolutely nauseating, five weeks into my job cataloguing them. :|

In conclusion: when I was in high school, I couldn't decide if I thought Tommy from 3rd Rock or Frances from Malcolm was hotter. OBVS A CROSSOVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN BORN.

Date: 2009-03-19 01:20 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] vinylroad.livejournal.com
Ugh, I wrote up this big thing about Channing Tatum and then LJ ate my fucking comment. Clearly LJ doesn't like him as much as I do. He's surprisingly intelligent and lovely, despite the fact that he looks like a meathead (sexy meathead, but meathead non the less).

Ugh, Billy Crudup will forever be known as the dick that dumped Mary Louise Parker when she was eight months pregnant for his co-star on the movie he was working on, Claire Danes. What's sort of funny was that Jeffrey Dean Morgan (ugh, my infatuation with him has become very sad indeed) was dating/engaged to Mary Louise while he was working with Billy. Ahah, awkward.

My only REAL celeb crush in high school was Leonardo DiCaprio, although I did have a brief fling with David Boreanaz. But Tommy had a wee spot in my heart <3

I started writing that remix today. I got like... THREE SENTENCES out, but it's a start I guess :P

Date: 2009-03-19 01:34 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] subterrain.livejournal.com
OHMYGOD SERIOUSLY? ARE YOU FOR SERIOUS? That is RLY RLY exciting, Kat! asfdkldsfgdgd. 3 sentences are about all I write anymore, either: I can sit down and maybe get like, a stolen couple hundred words but that's it, and it always seems so subpar and accidental. But then I have days like today where I'm supposed to be doing school, but I just mope around the house all day wishing certain fandoms existed so that I could read love stories instead, and nothing gets done in the RL category or the fandom category. Ugh.

Also, I was trying to figure out a way to slyly ask you and Edie when, exactly, the Comedian/Laurie Jupiter daddycest fic was coming out. BECAUSE IT'S A VERY NATURAL TRANSITION FOR YOU. No BLUE PENIS AT ALL.

Date: 2009-03-19 03:58 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] vinylroad.livejournal.com
I am serious. I was moping with Edie about it earlier because I was like, I WANT TO WRITE SEXYTIMEZ IN BUNKBEDS, BUT I CAN'T WRITE DEAN SEXUALLY ASSAULTING JO, so my only recourse was to make Dean slightly less evil in my version. But I LIKE your evil, horse-shooting Dean, so I'm trying to leave the jealous-evil side in place, just have him not be date rape Dean. It's stunted and I'm scared of mucking things up, so I'm moving at the pace of a paralyzed snail. PLEASE don't hate me if I muck it up. But yeah, your stuff was... more gen-ish and gorgeous, whereas I feel like mine is super focused on Jo and Dean and their teenage hormones that make them want to dry hump AND rip each others' faces off. Classy.

It's the first thing I've written in a month and a half (since that weirdo Jo/Sam/Dean thingy a while ago). I just don't feel the writing mojo anymore. What's annoying, like you said, is that I sit around whining about lack of shit that I want to read and that in turn makes me just not want to write anything. I need new fic and creativity to write and if I read one more Sam/Dean fic with the EXACT SAME PLOT as the last one I am going to cry... she says as she also attempts to write a sam/dean fic that's probably been written before.

Oh man, I could totally write Comedian/Laurie Jupiter daddycest fic TOO. STOP ENCOURAGING THIS MADNESS. I'd go bug Edie for it if I were you because she's a total mush when it comes to writing stuff if you ask her really nicely. And if she saw this comment? She'd FLAY ME ALIVE.

Date: 2009-03-20 12:31 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] subterrain.livejournal.com
Dude, you know how uncomfortable I am with the fact that I even WROTE it that way to begin with. It was cheap, tbh. I am therefore glad that you are making it work without the rape-apologist bullshit that I had in there. IT'S A FREAKING RELIEF.

& I could not in good conscience guilt Edie into writing anything! I merely send her sexy thoughts from within my massive cranium and refresh her journal a lot in the hopes that she had posted something new.

Date: 2009-03-18 06:37 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] vinylroad.livejournal.com
(ALSO I OWN CHASING LIBERTY. START MOCKING ME NOW.)

Date: 2009-03-18 04:51 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] petronia.livejournal.com
Well, fwiw this is basically the actual real life dynamic in Libs fandom, far as anyone can figure. XD; But their whole shtick was like FLASHBACK TO THE GAY TWENTIES.

Date: 2009-03-18 05:01 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] subterrain.livejournal.com
asdfaf libs? What is this Libs you speak of? EXPLAIN FURTHER.

Date: 2009-03-18 06:30 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] petronia.livejournal.com
Libertines fandom! LOL. I think I spent three months at the beginning just figuring out what had happened (and three months reading fic). The upside is that for a change, this is public entertainment for (an indie sector of) the British population, rather than a fangirl ghetto thing. The downside is having to hide yr RPS from the protagonists. THX A LOT NME.

But yeah... I guess my point was that it clearly wasn't straight friendship in real life, but peeps in the UK weren't all like OMG WERE U SEXXORING like the media would be here. It was just accepted as semi/denied/emotional not physical gay, like they had in 1920s literature, presumably because that example actually is in the culture. With more crack cocaine abuse. (Nor was it totally one-sided, but it's hard to know what goes on in people's heads, right. I do think Peter Doherty's created a situation where he can be as bent as he wants, holy shit his camp footballer thing, but no one sees him as gay because 1- if you have fucked Kate Moss there is no way you can be gay, 2- it is acceptable for heterosexual dudes to be gay for Carl Barat, and 3- that's just how Morrissey fans are.)

Date: 2009-03-18 09:04 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] subterrain.livejournal.com
WOW THAT IS INTENSE. Someone really felt the need to put it all up on Wikipedia too, which, you know, is so public, as you say. Tell me the fic is good/awesome/excellent! And tell me WHERE the fic is!

Seriously, I've owned their first album for years: HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS? Fucking Spin, never reporting on the good shit. I love especially how far back their 'influences' push them into that pure romantical love territory... Blake, Dickinson, Edwardian wit, what? And then all the denying and denying. O.O

Date: 2009-03-19 04:20 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] petronia.livejournal.com
Y'know, you're the second person of my acquaintance who's had the first album for years but never knew about the ghei. The music criticism profession this side of the pond ought to take a long hard look at its priorities. XD I mean, P4k is not NEARLY enough about the boy cuddling y/y.

Fic is variously at [livejournal.com profile] albion_fic and [livejournal.com profile] albion_unbound (you need to join, most of the good stuff is locked). There is a metric fuckton of it so prepare to wade. XD; The height of the ficcing fandom was '05-'07. Alternately gimme a working email and I'll forward a rec list I wrote up ages ago.

(If you really want the 1920s thing taken to its logical extreme, start with this one (http://www.livejournal.com/tools/memories.bml?user=rutherinahobbit&keyword=Counter-attack&filter=all).)

Date: 2009-03-20 12:23 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] subterrain.livejournal.com
Jeeze louise. I am so there. If you could, send the rec list to theeverpopular on gmail, and I would be undyingly grateful. Pete Doherty the playwright, and WWII and laksdfdklfdf. I LOVE THAT THIS EXISTS IN ACTUAL FACT.

Date: 2009-03-27 09:05 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] shadowpoet89.livejournal.com
Ozymandias banged Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne. (http://eugenetapdance.livejournal.com/864.html) Tru fax. (http://eugenetapdance.livejournal.com/1236.html)

Date: 2009-03-28 11:40 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] subterrain.livejournal.com
AW YES! Thanks, my friend!

Profile

subterrain: (Default)
subterrain

July 2020

S M T W T F S
   1234
5678 91011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 30th, 2026 04:31 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios